(508) 792-6627

Kenrick A.Claflin & Son

ERS-26. Submarine Nautilus preparing for Arctic trip c.1930.

Welcome to Kenrick A. Claflin & Son


Featured on our web site and in our monthly web catalogues are new and out-of-print books, documents, post cards, photographs, maps and charts, engravings, lithographs, uniforms and insignia, tools, lamps, lens apparatus, equipment and apparatus and much more relating to these heroic services.

We now issue most of our catalogues on line rather than by mail. This allows us to issue more catalogues and feature more items, with better photos and descriptions. Let us know your email address and we will email you monthly as our catalogues are posted.

Type in your search word. After hitting Enter you will automatically be brought back to this page. Scroll down to this spot to see the results of search. Pages containing your search word will be listed. You will be allowed to click on the pages found. When on each page, Windows Explorer will allow you to use Ctrl + F to bring up a search box for that page. Type in your search word again and hit “Enter”. You will be taken to that item.


ERS-26. Submarine Nautilus preparing for Arctic trip c.1930.

ERS-26. Submarine Nautilus preparing for Arctic trip c.1930. Close 8” x 10” press photo shows the reconditioned and renamed submarine Nautilus tied up at the Brooklin Nevy Yard in preparation for a proposed trip to the Arctic. In 1930 Sir Hubert Wilkins made plans for a trans-Atlantic trip via the North Pole using a submarine for the purpose of gathering meterological data in the pole area. Wilkins leased a submarine and renamed her Nautilus. The ship was 175 feet in length and weighed in at 560 tons. It was capable of diving to a depth of 200 feet and could support a crew of twenty men for five days. The expedition suffered losses before they even left New York Harbor. Willard Grimmer the quartermaster was knocked overboard and drowned in the harbor. Wilkins was undaunted and drove on with preparations for a series of test cruises and dives before they were to undertake their trans-Atlantic voyage. However difficulties continued to plague the mission until Wilkins was forced to end the first expedition to the poles in a submarine and head for England. Even this was not to be, as he was forced to take refuge in the port of Bergen Norway because of a fierce storm that they encountered en route. The Nautilus suffered serious damage that made further use of the vessel unfeasible. Wilkins received permission from the United States Navy to sink the vessel off shore in a Norwegian fjord on November 20, 1931.Photo has some wear, one coener missing, a few creases, chips. With credit line and description on back. (G+) $28.