Photos

We are in the process of updating our website. For more available items, please visit our current website.

Previous

11324k U S Light House Establishment, Captain William Gregory of the LH Tender Manzanita c 1896 1897

Measures a full 10” x 7” overall. Exceptional photo of Captain Gregory in uniform, posing for the photographer. Note the collar insignia – anchor inside the border – rarely seen, as well as the embroidered lighthouse on the sleeves. Clear view measures 5 ¼” x 7 ¾” and shows great detail of the Captain in uniform in great contrast. This came from a series of photos from Capt. William Gregory of the U.S. Lighthouse Tender Manzanita while in Alaska about 1896. The Manzanita was a wooden-hulled steam-powered tender built by the H. A. Ramsey Shipbuilding company in Brooklyn, New York, as a replacement for the tender Shubrick, which had served on the west coast. The Manzanita was the second lighthouse tender to serve in the Pacific. She was first assigned to the 12th Lighthouse District and then transferred to the 13th in 1886. She was rebuilt in 1887 and received a new boiler in 1902. She sank near Warrior Rock on the Willamette River in Oregon on 6 October 1905. She was later raised and repaired for commercial service. This is a one-of-a-kind view, by Gifford Photographers, Portland, Oregon. Clean, clear, only light edge wear, superb view. One of the largest that I have seen. (VG+). $244.


10108. U S Lighthouse Service General Depot, Thompkinsville, Staten Island, New York c 1900

Lovely hand colored image measures 3 ½” x 4 ½” on 4 ½” x 5 ½” mount. Moored at the pier can be seen Lightship No 16, used as Relief in New York waters. The lighthouse visible on the pier has no lens and may have been used to evaluate lamps, oil, lens apparatus, etc. Note the lighthouse lantern sitting on the pier beside the lighthouse. In the background can be seen a lighthouse tender (note the walking beam of the steam engine), as well as buoys and other equipment. On Staten Island, the General Lighthouse Depot was established in 1863, where many of the supplies for the whole Service were purchased and stored and sent out for distribution, and where much of the special apparatus of the Service was manufactured or repaired. It is also where there was carried on various technical work in the way of testing apparatus and supplies and designing or improving apparatus. At one point this site employed some 200 men. Striking image is clear and crisp, beautifully hand colored. (VG+). $188.


1213. (photo) Race Point Coast Guard Light Station, Cape Cod c.1960’s

Great view when the Coast Guard was still at Race Point Light Station in the 1960’s. Made from lot of original 4” negatives taken at the time for post cards. 8” x 10”. Clear, crisp, great view. (M). $29.95.


1215. Sicchio, Mary. The Forgotten Cape: 1940-1960

Arcadia. 2007. 128p. Soft wraps. 180 vintage photographs. In the 1940s through the 1960s, the Cape Cod Chamber of Commerce promoted Cape Cod as an alluring vacationland where the blue begins, and the frets of life cease. At the same time, a young, exuberant man with a camera, Richard Cooper Kelsey, arrived in Chatham. Kelsey began compiling a photographic record of small town life, of Cape Cod tourist landmarks, and the real people of Cape Cod with precision and clarity. He portrayed a Cape Cod of much beauty and charm, an earlier, more youthful time, and a time just within reach of memory. The photographs in The Forgotten Cape: 1940-1960 were culled from the over 7,000 item Kelsey Collection of the Nickerson Room at Wilkens Library, Cape Cod Community College. Superb photographs, well worth it for the photos alone. (M). $21.99.


1214. (Kodachrome slide) Race Point Coast Guard Light Station, Cape Cod c.1955

Great view when the Coast Guard was still at Race Point Light Station in the 1950’s. Original color Kodachrome slide, clear and close. Shows the assistant keeper’s house which was later torn down. Clear, crisp, great view. Dated August 13, 1955. Will project well or great to make prints. (VG+). $29.


1227. (lot 13 photos) Wellfleet, Cape Cod c.1905

Mayo’s Beach Lighthouse & Marconi Radio Station, beach, homes, etc. Lot of 13 photos still mounted on original album page. Includes lovely large 4” x 5 ½” image of Mayo’s Beach Light and Keeper’s dwelling. The new cast iron tower and brick and clapboard keeper’s house shown here, were built in 1881, and the original lantern and wood dwelling was removed. This light station as shown, remained in service until it was discontinued on March 10, 1922. The light station property was sold at auction on August 1, 1923, to Capt. Harry Capron. Additional large views include a view looking down Kendrick Avenue toward the light station, one of the few structures on the street at that time. Also included is a view of the Highland Navy Radio-compass Station, and another of the four Marconi radio towers in Wellfleet near the beach. From this site, Marconi successfully completed the first transatlantic wireless communication between the U.S. and England in 1903. Additional 9 images measure about 2 ½” x 3 ½” and include a wreck on the beach, farm and home views. Great lot, crisp and clear, all still neatly attached to original album page. Rare lot. (VG+). $248.


Previous