Antiques

We are in the process of updating our website. For more available items, please visit our current website.

Previous

7463 9 United States Lighthouse Service “U S L H S ” Cream Pitcher c 1900

Original “U.S.L.H.S.” brown leafy pattern. This is a scarce original early china dinnerware piece from the United States Lighthouse Service manufactured of heavy white institutional type china, in the latter years of the Nineteenth Century for use in ships’ wardrooms and at the light stations. With only expected light wear, free of any cracks or major defects. There were three patterns used over the years by the Lighthouse Establishment and Service and this is the second of the three patterns. About 1900 a third pattern was instituted which included a turquoise lighthouse within a circle. Both patterns were then used up until 1938. Bottom is not marked. Creamer is fairly large and is quite clean, complete, no chips and in very good condition. Measures 5 ¾” high, 5 ¾” wide, 3 ½” deep. It is now extremely difficult to find these early lighthouse dinner pieces, particularly in this pattern. (VG+). $1595.


2762 [paperweight] Heavy glass rectangular paperweight featuring an early c 1900 photograph of Hyannis Harbor Lighthouse, South Hyannis, Mass

This rare item features a close photograph of the short white light tower, flanked by the 1 ½-story keeper’s dwelling and out buildings. In front stands the uniformed light keeper speaking with two finely dressed women. In 1848, Congress authorized the building of a proper lighthouse at South Hyannis for $2,000. A 19-foot (to the base of the lantern), conical brick tower was built, and the light went into service on May 7, 1849. A fifth-order Fresnel lens replaced the original lighting apparatus in 1856, and a new cast-iron lantern was installed in 1863. Photo remains clear and sharp, overall in excellent condition. 2 ½” x 4” x ¾” h. One of the few such items of this remote Cape Cod light and most desirable. (F-). $135 net.


SR 454. (chart tube) U.S. Coast Guard c.1940’s.

31” long. 3 ¼” diameter. Brass screw-on cap. Stenciled in black paint “…Globe Chart Container U.S.C.G. Log Book 5 Charts … Pencil.” $225.


28258c. (portable watchman's clock) E. Imhauser & Company.

U.S. Life Saving Service type. c.1878. SN#6729. Such watch clocks were used by Life Saving Service surfmen in their patrols along the shore to log in their rounds and assure that all of the route was covered. These clocks were so reliable that even after new models were introduced in the early 1900’s, the Life Saving Service chose to retain the Imhauser models until they was no longer usable. The marking mechanism of the Imhauser is located inside the case cover and is very distinctive. When a station key is inserted in the marking mechanism, it moves a slidable member (against a slight spring force). The length of the particular key determines how far the slidable member is moved and hence to what radius of the recording chart a marking pin is brought. Then, when the key is turned, the pin is snapped against the paper recording dial and marks it at that radial position. Clock number is #6729. Early clock case marked “E. Imhauser New York. U.S. Patent Jan 25, 1876. Nov 30, 1875, Dec 5, 1876, June 26, 1877 dating this to pre 1880. Clock is in good condition and does operate briefly when wound but does need cleaning and servicing. Included are some paper discs but it is without keys or leather case. We can’t say if this particular clock was used by the Life Saving Service as they did not mark them, but this is the style that was used for many years. In the Service’s Annual Report for 1886, they note that this clock was intended for use at isolated stations where patrol exchange checks could not be used. The Board on Life-Saving Appliances noted herein as well that this clock was a valuable adjunct to the appliances of isolated stations. It is very difficult to find these early watch clocks. (VG). $285.


12120 (keeper appointment letter) Henry Hill, Whitehall Narrows Stake Light No. 14. Lake Champlain, NY. c.1887.

12120. (keeper appointment letter) Henry Hill, Whitehall Narrows Stake Light No. 14. Lake Champlain, NY. c.1887. Superb original keeper appointment letter signed in hand by the Acting Secretary of the Treasury, appointing Henry Hill as Keeper of the Whitehall Narrows Stake Light No. 14 (he was already keeper of stake lights Nos. 15 and 16), at a salary of $320 per annum, increased from $240. Dated September 27, 1887. Letter reads: “Treasury Department Office of the Secretary Washington, D. C. September 27, 1887. Mr. Henry Hill, Care of the Light-house Board. Sir: You are hereby appointed keeper of the new stake-light No. 14, Whitehall Narrows, New York in addition to lights Nos. 15 and 16, and your compensation increased from two hundred and forty dollars to three hundred and twenty dollars per annum, to take effect from the lighting of the new beacon. Respectfully yours, Hugh S. Thompson ~ Acting Secretary ….” Letter is on original stationery of the Light-House Establishment and is written in hand. Also bears the red stamp of the Light-House Inspector, 3rd. LH Dist., and the stamp of the Light-House Board. Overall size 12” x 17”. Fine early piece. Clean save two spots, light original folds with some wear. (VG). $195.


Previous